Wednesday 11 September 2013

19. What's in a Name?

One of the most difficult things about making this film was coming up with a suitable title. I went through hundreds! Some were too obscure, some too cute, and others just plain crap.

I liked O.A.K but after I had added the twist at the end of the film, that title just didn't seem relevant to me anymore. The film no longer ended on a shot of a giant Oak tree. The focus had been shifted. Instead I wanted to give a hint of the main idea behind the story - that of it being a 'dog eat dog world'. So I knew the title needed to change. I considered the cryptic TANSTAAFL. It stands for - 'There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch' and said everything that I wanted to say. But it was deemed too obscure, and perhaps to suggest Germanic origins or connections, which the film doesn't have. But I really like the reference and find it very relevant to the story. I also liked the darker Here Piggy! but I had to strike a delicate balance, because I didn't want to give away the twist at the end.

Also on my list were: Animal Etiquette; Quercus Ho!; Life's a Picnic; Feeding Time; Fur & Hide; Wild Wood; A Faint Rustling; Woodland Fever; Sap; and A Simple Meal.

I plumped for Table Manners in the end, as I felt that it had a slightly tongue in cheek feel to it, especially after watching the film, but at the same time it doesn't give anything away.

No comments: